May 6 2009
Sound Travels continued today with more Latin music, and when I say 'Latin' I simply mean that the sound comes from a traditional style or that it at least be in Spanish. And the start couldn't be any more Latin. The Fania All-Stars are what the sound is all about; an illustrious and widely distinguished musical ensemble established in 1968 by composer Johnny Pacheco as a showcase for the leading musicians and singers of the record label Fania Records, the leading salsa record company of the time. A company that employed Hector Lavoe also, and who I have in this set with a scorcher, "Mi Gente;" Lavoe is my favorite classic so to speak, and one of the best salsa singers to have ever come from Puerto Rico.
More music from German-based Una Mas Trio, a remix from a different German, Hannover's Brazilian music lover Mo'Horizons, nice stuff too, "Clear As Water." And nicely into Colombian superstar Juanes' first band Ekhymosis, which I was surprised by because it's rock, en espagnol, and because it really is rather decent and very similar to his later work. Santero's new album continues to impress me and I have another for you today, the infectious "Checherengoma." And a song that should be very familiar with as much rotation as it has gotten here, Cut Chemist's Brazilian tuned gem "The Garden." Which blends the end into it's verdant fold, Argentino Ramiro Musotto with more from his superb release Civilizisao & Barbarye, which has been getting plenty of play here on Sound Travels. If you missed it, here you go...
Sound travels Wednesday : Mundo Latino
Tracklisting & Media:
1. The Fania All-Stars : "Coro Miyare" Stop & Listen vol 5
2. Batata Y Su Rumba Palenquera : "Ataole" Radio Bakongo
3. Hector Lavoe : "Mi Gente (Louie Vega's EOL Remix)" El Cantante
4. Una Mas Trio : "Clear As Water(Mo'Horizns remix)" Clear As Water 12"
5. Ekhymosis : "La Tierra" Ekhymosis
6. Santero : "Checherengoma" El Hijo De Obatala
7. Cut Chemist : "The Garden" The Audiences' Listening
8. Ramiro Musotto : "M'Bala" Civilizisao & Barbarye