Radio Milwaukee interns learn the ins and outs of non-commercial radio and participate in the day-today tasks and interconnectivity of all departments including programming, promotions, production, engineering, traffic, operations, and underwriting. In addition to the learning outcomes outlined above, each intern will be given specific tasks to complete on a one-time and ongoing basis. Assignments are intended to give the intern experience in radio operations in all its many forms.
Our Summer program runs from the first week of June to the last week of August. The Fall program runs from the first week of September to the last week of December. Our Spring program runs from the first week of January to the last week of May.
Intern applicants need to be available Monday through Friday between the hours of 9am and 5pm. Most internship positions require a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week.
Please note: Due to the large volume of applications, we are unable to notify applicants who are not selected for internships
Learning the in’s and out’s of non-commercial radio and aiding in the functionality of all departments including programming, promotions, production, engineering, traffic, operations, and underwriting and how they all work together. In addition to the learning outcomes outlined above, each intern will be given specific tasks to complete on a one-time and ongoing basis. Anything that is assigned is considered necessary to the function and success of RadioMilwaukee as a whole; assignments are intended to give the intern experience in radio operations in all its many forms. Therefore, no assignment is optional and each must be completed in a thorough and timely manner. Some examples of assignments:
- Studio Milwaukee Session pre- and post- production
- General production duties pertaining to weekly specialty shows and features
- Website contributions and maintenance
- Data entry of contest information from concert and other promotions
- Assistance with outside promotions at events
- Assistance with development department mailings and fulfillment
- Assistance and participation in fund drives
- Practice and training for overnight on-air voicetracked shifts
- Shadowing of each staff member for one day during internship period
Digital Internship (click here for details)
*You must be pursuing a Communications or Journalism degree and include 3 writing samples