Going on now through April 23, the organization Blankspace Milwaukee is showcasing locally-owned Black dining establishments for the first ever Milwaukee Black Restaurant Week. In a city that has been called one of the most segregated in the country, this is an opportunity to expose Black-owned businesses to a wider audience in the city.
From Blankspace’s website:
Black Americans are just 13 percent of the U.S. population but will have a buying power of $1.4 trillion by 2019. Because we know that not enough of the money is “flowing back into” black communities – MKE Black Restaurant Week is a method to introduce “foodies to new and exciting eateries” in the black community.
We believe supporting Black restaurants play a crucial role in achieving socio-economic upliftment, and the sustainable implementation of these beliefs will strengthen our communities and open opportunities for future generations. Through supporting African American businesses you’re supporting small businesses. You’re giving back to the community and bringing some social, economic uplift to the community.
All during the week, participating restaurants will offer specials and deals on meals and drinks. There will also be various events throughout the week.
Here is a list of participating restaurants
- Ashley’s Que, 124 W. National Ave.
- Big Eazy, 2053 N Doctor M.L.K. Dr.
- Chic Cafe, 770 N. Jefferson St.
- City.Net Cafe, 7211 W. Burleigh St.
- Coffee Makes You Black, 2803 N. Teutonia Ave.
- Daddy’s Soul Food & Grille, 754 N. 27th St.
- Dee’s Elegance Bar & Grill, 7420 W. Villard Ave.
- Irie Palace, 7506 W. Appleton Ave.
- Irie Zulu, 7237 W. North Ave.
- Jizzles Sandwich Shop, 4618 W. Burleigh St.
- Mr. Perkins, 2001 W. Atkinson Ave.
- Pass da Peas, 7870 W. Appleton Ave.
- Pepper Pot, 4120 W. Capitol Dr.
- Redd Snapper – multiple locations
- Osha’s Market, 8015 N. 76th St.
- R-Life Cafe, 1300a W. Fond du Lac Ave.
- Skybox Sports Bar, 2213 N. Dr. Martin Luther King Dr.
- Speed Queen BBQ, 1130 W. Walnut St.
- Stella J’s, 7434 W. Capitol Dr.
- Terri Lynn’s, 10742 W. Hampton Ave.
- Tony’s BBQ, 3510 W Villard Ave.
Here are the events happening this week: