Position: Afternoon Drive Host/Assistant Program Director
Job Type: Full-time
Supervisor: Program Director/Music Director
Salary Range: $49,000 to $60,000
Afternoon Drive Host: The role represents Radio Milwaukee’s voice in the community. This person introduces programs and music, reads promotional copy and public service announcements, contributes to station digital media initiatives and is involved in the overall public presentation of the station.
The Afternoon Drive Host’s objective is to maximize audience acceptance and ratings by effectively projecting the station’s desired on-air image. They will perform assigned responsibilities in a professional manner while following the station format, company policies and procedures, State & Federal laws, and FCC rules & regulations while working as an effective team member.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Host weekday afternoon on air shift, weekend voice-tracking and cover other shifts as needed
- 414Live Program
- Book local artists who are representative of the station’s sound and city’s scene
- Create promotions for web, social and on-air
- Build relationships with partner organizations to help audience growth and engagement.
- Create web content
- Voice station promos, liners and IDs
- Participate in weekly music meetings
- DJ and Host Radio Milwaukee events
- Participate in on air fund drives and special broadcasts
- Represent Radio Milwaukee at partner events and concerts as assigned, including MC duties.
Assistant Program Director: Lead and manage promotional relationships within Programming, Marketing, Development and Underwriting partnerships that increase WYMS’ market share, listeners / users, ratings, and income, while aligning with quality programming and execution of Mission.
- Manage promotional relationships with local venues and work closely with Underwriting and Marketing to ensure connectivity between programming opportunities.
- Lead and Manage Milwaukee Music Library (Reports to Music Director) and Milwaukee Music programs.
- Direct and optimize all programming elements; assist with administration duties in the Programming Department.
- Provide continuity and direction of the on-air product and sound in a professional, knowledgeable and entertaining way.
- Manage the implementation and activation of all WYMS Programming events and specialty programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Optimize on-air programming elements and develop talent
- Ensure all air staff are compliant with FCC guidelines and WYMS protocols
- Schedules staff for on-air shifts, remotes, and appearances. Manages vacation requests.
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with promoters, producers, artists’ managers, and other industry contacts.
- Partners with Marketing, Development and Underwriting to increase market share, listeners, ratings, member and underwriter satisfaction, while aligning programming fit station’s needs and build audience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of FCC broadcast rules and regulations
- Knowledge of federal, state and local contesting rules and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to use tools to gather and analyze ratings data, make business decisions based on analysis; sound judgment and quality decision-making skills
- Knowledge and appreciation of diverse music genres, familiarity with radio programming in general – not limited to specific format
- Excellent team leadership and delegation skills, including motivation of staff; can set goals & expectations, provide honest feedback and manage performance
- Strong interpersonal skills
- High degree of planning and organizing skills; can multi-task and meet specific deadlines
- Flexible, creative, and innovative in using technology to deepen listener relationships
- Ability to think both tactically and strategically
- Entrepreneurial and assertive in meeting goals and leading groups
- Ability to influence others, inspire innovation and ensure focus
EDUCATION and or EXPERIENCE:
- 2 or more years of experience in radio or broadcast media
- Experience with professional audio scheduling and recording software
- Ability to work quickly and meet daily deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to meet the demands.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand or walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach or grasp with hands and arms, including overhead and from floor to waist; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to bend, stoop or kneel; lift, carry and/or move up to 25 pounds; and operate a motor vehicle.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to read from a computer or electronic device, and the vision required to operate a motor vehicle.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to meet the requirements.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The employee is exposed to outdoor weather conditions during work-related travel.
Radio Milwaukee is a Fun Place to Work!
Work in our creative Walker’s Point office that includes a full kitchen, green roof/deck and performance space. We are currently operating on a hybrid schedule with a minimum of 3 days per week in the office.
Benefits at Radio Milwaukee
We know that working for a dynamic organization deserves rest and balance. Here are a few of our fantastic benefits: three weeks of paid vacation, paid holidays, sick and personal paid time off, medical/dental/vision and a great matching 401K. Benefits are available after an introductory period.
Radio Milwaukee has made full COVID-19 vaccination a condition of employment. This decision follows guidance from medical experts, in concert with our values and decision-making criteria, and comes with the support of the Radio Milwaukee Board of Directors. All Radio Milwaukee employees are required to be fully vaccinated.
Send the following: cover letter, references, resume, salary requirements and audio samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org . No phone calls please.
Radio Milwaukee is an Equal Opportunity Employer