Cultural Commons hosts a series of events throughout the year based on our Community Stories themes — Community Stories Live — all designed to develop cross-cultural relationships and partnerships, facilitate dialogue across diverse perspectives, and create bridges across race, age, gender, culture, abilities and sexual orientation. The goal is to provide the foundation for the creation of an inclusive and culturally diverse Milwaukee.
The initiative is supported by the Cultural Commons Steering Committee — a diverse group of Milwaukee leaders committed to deepening relationships and strengthening their commitment to the goals of the Cultural Commons. The Steering Committee works collaboratively to design events and activities that translate insights gained to a larger audience.
As our mission statement says, “88Nine Radio Milwaukee serves as a catalyst for creating a better, more inclusive and engaged city through music, stories and events created for a culturally open-minded community.”
Cultural Commons is a key to making this a reality.
— Glenn Kleiman
Executive Director, 88Nine Radio Milwaukee
Current Steering Committee Members
- JoAnna Bautch, Latino Arts
- Maggie Corry, Radio Milwaukee
- Erickajoy Daniels, Aurora Health Care
- Camille Davis, Zilber Family Foundation
- Danae Davis, Milwaukee Succeeds
- Katie Heil, Greater Together & Heil Family Foundation
- Michael Hostad, MiKE Innovation in Milwaukee & Greater Milwaukee Committee
- Nate Imig, Radio Milwaukee
- Glenn Kleiman, Radio Milwaukee
- Jordan Lee, Radio Milwaukee
- Megan McGee, Ex Fabula
- Maggey Oplinger, Florentine Opera
- Maddy Riordan, Radio Milwaukee
- Whitnee Smith, Quarles and Brady
- Craig Wiroll, Milwaukee Preservation Alliance
Steering Committee Engagement Meetings
The Cultural Commons Steering Committee meets quarterly to strengthen relationships through meaningful discussions centered on diversity and inclusion and to design and plan the Community Stories Live events that are at the core of Cultural Commons engagement strategy.
Community Stories Live Events
Community Stories Live events are curated to create discussion platforms for diverse groups from all backgrounds to engage in conversations that reveal the challenges and opportunities for building a culturally diverse and inclusive Milwaukee.
- Saturday, May 4, 12:30-4pm: Urban Spelunking: The Bus Tour
- We will be jumping on a bus and exploring three Milwaukee buildings with Bobby Tanzilo of On Milwaukee and Nate Imig of Radio Milwaukee!
- Saturday, May 4, 4-7pm: Grand Opening of the ZIP MKE Gallery at Radio Milwaukee
- Explore Milwaukee’s zip codes through a photographic gallery
- Wednesday, August 21, 6-9pm: Backspin: The Bonus Episode
- Be a part of a live taping of Radio Milwaukee’s first long-form podcast, Backspin: The Search for Milwaukee’s First Hip-Hop song — LISTEN HERE
- Tuesday, November 5, 5:30-8pm: Coming to Milwaukee: Immigration Stories (at No Studios)
- Hear personal stories of families and individuals coming to Milwaukee and their experiences with immigration
- This event is put on in partnership with Ex Fabula
- Tuesday, November 17, 5:30-8:30pm: Community Stories Ripples: An Inside Look into Radio Milwaukee’s Community Stories Storytellers
- Ready for Love
- Breaking Out of Your Bubble: The Role YOU Play
- Tech Talk with Alicia Carr
- Media and Representation: Who Gets Seen? Who Gets Heard? Who Tells the Story?
- Invisible Lines Video Series Celebration
- Dissecting Kendrick Lamar: Exploring To Pimp A Butterfly
- Band Together III
- Timeless Harmony
- Music and Identity
- Band Together II
- The Blood is at the Doorstep Film Screening and Talkback
- Timeless Harmony
- Fostering Neighborhood Collaboration by Makenzie Boettcher
- Cultural Commons: stories of inclusion by Emily Talapa
- How an old letter changed thoughts of race in Milwaukee by Makenzie Boettcher
- Band Together by Nate Imig