- This event has passed.
The 2020 Celebration of International Human Rights Day in Milwaukee
December 12, 2020 @ 10:30 am - 12:00 pmFree
——-Press Release – For Immediate Use——-
The 2020 Milwaukee Celebration of International Human Rights Day
With a Panel Discussion on
“Human Rights – What Have We Learned in 2020?”
A Virtual Zoom Event
Saturday – December 12th, 2020 from 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM
Sponsored by the Milwaukee Equal Rights Commission, Milwaukee County Human Rights Commission, and United Nations Association of Greater Milwaukee
The program will include welcoming comments from:
• Tony Snell, Chair of the Milwaukee Equal Rights Commission
• Steve Watrous, President of the United Nations Association of Greater Milwaukee
The following panel members will discuss what we have learned about human rights in 2020 from the perspective of their areas of expertise:
• Panel Moderator: Dr. Robert Smith, Professor with the Marquette University History Department.
• Human Rights and the United Nations: Jamil Dakwar, Director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Human Rights Program will address the ACLU’s dedication to holding the United States accountable to its international human rights obligations and commitment.
• Equity in Health Care: Dr. M. Riccardo Colella, Professor of Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics, and Health Equity at the Medical College of Wisconsin and the EMS State Medical Director who is actively engaged in health care education and systems development projects in developing countries.
• Essential Workers and Equity Disparities: Sindy Benavides, Chief Executive Officer with the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC).
• Racism and Black Lives Matter: Reggie Jackson, award winning Senior Columnist for the Milwaukee Independent News Magazine whose articles and presentations cover many aspects of racism in America and Milwaukee. He is a consultant with Nurturing Diversity Partners and volunteers as Head Griot for America’s Black Holocaust Museum.
Advance registration is required. To register with your computer, smartphone, or tablet, click on:
After registering, you will receive an email with a hotlink & information about how to join the meeting.
Captioning and an on-screen American Sign Language Interpreting to be provided. Contact the City of Milwaukee ADA Coordinator at ADACoordinator@milwaukee.gov if additional reasonable accommodations are needed.
For more information, please call 414.708.3319