Major Giving and Grants Officer
Position: Major Giving and Grants Officer
Level: Senior Director
Job Type: Full-time Exempt
Supervisor: Executive Director
The Major Giving and Grants Officer is responsible for building relationships with major donors and prospects to secure gifts of over $10,000 for annual operating and program-specific projects. This position will actively qualify and cultivate major donor prospects, and make direct solicitations. Responsibilities include conducting prospect research, developing solicitation strategies, and writing gift proposals and reports. The Major Giving and Grants Officer will manage a portfolio of approximately 150 donors and spend 75% or more of their time outside the office in face-to-face or virtual meetings to cultivate and steward donor relationships. Solicitations may also include gala tables/support and planned giving commitments. The major giving officer will have 3-5 years of major gift fundraising experience and the proven ability to guide donors to more significant support. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
This list is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as deemed appropriate.
- Manage a dedicated portfolio of donors and prospects within underwriting system, meeting monthly metric goals.
- Strategically cultivate and solicit donors and prospects, with a focus on deepening donor relationships and identifying the best way to connect them with Radio Milwaukee funding opportunities.
- Develop effective stewardship plans to strengthen relationships and explore other avenues for support.
- Develop written plans, proposals, reports and other donor communications.
- Qualify new prospects to ensure the growth of donor pool.
- Contribute to the expansion of the planned giving program.
- Research and qualify major donor prospects to ensure growth of the donor pool.
- Document donor contacts in donor management software, following established protocols.
- Provide regular updates and reports on prospect management and fundraising results.
- Participate in major donor events locally throughout Milwaukee and surrounding communities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to build relationships with a variety of people.
- Project an outgoing, confident, persuasive demeanor to cultivate rapport and trust.
- Strong time management skills and ability to meet daily deadlines.
- Self-starter that takes initiative and works independently without close supervision.
- Capacity to think strategically, creatively and advantageously.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with appropriate discretion.
- High energy and passion for Radio Milwaukee’s mission and core values.
- Ability to serve with humility while embracing change and delivering excellence every day.
- Ability to regularly travel throughout the Milwaukee area for various meetings and off-site events.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for special events.
- Computer proficiency, with the ability and willingness to learn new platforms. Experience with Microsoft Suite, Google Meet/Zoom, Monday.com, CRMs, Marketron, and Scarborough a plus.
- Knowledge and understanding of FCC rules for non-commercial radio a plus.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
- 3-5 years of experience and a strong understanding of prospect management, major donor cultivation and solicitation is required.
- Proven track record in securing major and planned gifts.
- Knowledge of planned giving vehicles and ability to identify strong prospects.
- Previous experience working directly with board members, volunteers and content experts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to meet the demands.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand or walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach or grasp with hands and arms, including overhead and from floor to waist; and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to operate a motor vehicle. The employee is occasionally required to bend, stoop or kneel; lift, carry and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to read from a computer or electronic device, and the vision required to operate a motor vehicle.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to meet the requirements.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The employee is exposed to outdoor weather conditions during work-related travel. Our creative Walker’s Point office includes a full kitchen, green roof/deck and performance space. We are currently operating on a hybrid schedule with a minimum of three (3) days per week in the office.
Benefits at Radio Milwaukee
We know that working for a dynamic organization deserves rest and balance. Here are a few of our fantastic benefits: three weeks of paid vacation, paid holidays, sick and personal paid time off, medical/dental/vision and a great matching 401K. Benefits are available after an introductory period. This position offers a generous base salary plus commission.
Please send a cover letter, references, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Radio Milwaukee is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All Radio Milwaukee employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.