Position: Audio Storyteller – Community Stories
Job Type: Full-Time
Supervisor: Director of Content
Through music and stories created for a culturally open-minded community, 88Nine Radio Milwaukee is a catalyst for creating a better, more inclusive and engaged Milwaukee.
— Mission Statement, 88Nine Radio Milwaukee
BE A PART OF THE CHANGE
We love Milwaukee. Our city isn’t perfect. What city is? But we believe in Milwaukee – as it is today, and in its potential to become even better. And that’s why Radio Milwaukee exists. To be a catalyst for creating a better, more inclusive and engaged Milwaukee.
We champion Milwaukee – our music, arts and culture, neighborhoods and community organizations. We celebrate diversity and encourage community engagement. We aspire to be a force that breaks down barriers and brings people together. We pursue our mission on the air, online and in the community.
Join a team of highly motivated employees to promote and further our impact in the community in this full-time position.
The Audio Storyteller is the primary voice of Community Stories, Radio Milwaukee’s marquee, mission-driven on-air audio segment. Primary duties include curating, writing, editing and producing audio packages and interviews, both for 88.9 FM and for RadioMilwaukee.org, in a variety of formats and lengths. This position reports to the Director of Content and collaborates with members of the Content team, as well as with all departments within the organization to forward Radio Milwaukee’s mission.
The Audio Storyteller possesses a high level of cultural competence and is driven by sharing stories from underrepresented communities. This public-facing role represents Radio Milwaukee’s mission on all platforms: on-air, online and on-site. An ideal candidate thinks deeply about story, approaches work with an enterprising spirit and thrives on the editing process.
** Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this position will likely require remote working in Milwaukee until our offices are able to safely reopen. At that point, this will become an in-person job.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Produces weekly Community Stories for broadcast and online distribution
- Writes in-depth journalistic pieces for RadioMilwaukee.org to accompany audio stories
- Shoots and/or sources photos to accompany audio stories
- Actively pitches and researches content for own job function and for other members of editorial team
- Works with Director of Content on long-form projects and edits supplemental audio for website
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Multi-track audio production capabilities, focused on Pro Tools and Adobe Audition
- Ability to conduct prepared interviews on a wide variety of topics
- Conversational and relatable narration style
- The ability to paint audio pictures with words, music, and natural sound
- The ability to work quickly and meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Understands the culture and community of Radio Milwaukee’s target market
EDUCATION and or EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated experience with audio storytelling, such as radio, podcasting or other broadcast media
- Experience with broadcast, blog, editorial and AP style writing
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field preferred
To be considered please send cover letter, resume, and a demo of previous audio interviews, audio production or on-air work and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until it is filled; however, the first round of applicants will be considered beginning July 27, 2020.
No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Radio Milwaukee is an Equal Opportunity Employer.