Director of Giving and Advancement
The Director of Giving and Advancement is a member of Radio Milwaukee’s
Senior Leadership Team and reports to the Executive Director, participating
in charting the direction of 88Nine. Under the direction of the Executive
Director and in harmony with the policies and goals of the Board of Directors,
The Director of Giving and Advancement provides the leadership, strategic
direction, management and coordination for all Radio Milwaukee fundraising
efforts. This role will maintain existing revenue streams and create new
revenue for the station, with fundraising strategies to enhance mission
awareness and garner support from individuals, corporations, local
businesses, foundations and other sources.
This role is key in departmental change management and fostering a
collaborative, motivated and accountable culture. The ideal candidate has a
passion for fundraising and business development, a strong affinity for the
mission of Radio Milwaukee and a commitment to making Milwaukee a better
place to live.
Supervises: Development Manager, Membership Manager and Sales Manager
Through music and stories created for a culturally open-minded community,
88Nine Radio Milwaukee is a catalyst for creating a better, more inclusive
and engaged Milwaukee.
— Mission Statement, 88Nine Radio Milwaukee
Be a Part of the Change
We love Milwaukee. Our city isn’t perfect. What city is? But we believe in
Milwaukee – as it is today, and in its potential to become even better. And
that’s why Radio Milwaukee exists. To be a catalyst for creating a better,
more inclusive and engaged Milwaukee.
We champion Milwaukee – our music, arts and culture, neighborhoods and
community organizations. We celebrate diversity and encourage community
engagement. We aspire to be a force that breaks down barriers and brings
people together. We pursue our mission on the air, online and in the
Join a team of highly motivated employees to promote and further our
impact in the community in this full-time position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
This list is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and
responsibilities, as deemed appropriate.
● Develops a comprehensive annual fundraising plan in conjunction with
the Senior Leadership Team, creating targeted goals, quantifiable
outcomes and timelines.
● Develops comprehensive special campaign plans as needed.
● Provides analysis and reporting on the overall performance of
fundraising against goals and annual plan.
● Continually assesses the plan with an eye toward creating efficiencies
and constant improvements to meet Radio Milwaukee’s evolving
● Establishes policies/procedures and ensures implementation of
processing and record maintenance, in partnership with the Finance
● Creates and adheres to annual department budget.
●Works in close collaboration with the Executive Director and key
volunteer leadership to achieve the fundraising goals of the
● Creates, manages and assesses implementation of a comprehensive
donor relations plan to support fundraising efforts, including responding to donor concerns and/or requests, gift acknowledgements,
program information and stewardship.
● Fosters a positive, ongoing relationship with donors and ensures a
long-term relationship by maintaining contact and proactively
educating donors on outcomes and results of Radio Milwaukee efforts.
● Develops and leads donor moves management, assigning portfolios to
Development department staff, the Executive Director and volunteer
● Personally manages a portfolio of donors.
● Oversees the strategy and solicitation of Radio Milwaukee’s diverse
revenue streams, to maximize support through:
○ Major gifts
○ In kind gifts
● Motivates and empowers Development department staff to reach goals
in each of these revenue categories.
● Solicits gifts and participates in relationship management, as
determined by portfolio levels.
Organizational & Departmental Leadership
● Serves as a Senior Leadership Team member and active participant in
making strategic decisions regarding Radio Milwaukee’s development
● Directly supervises, supports, and develops the Development Manager,
Membership Manager and Sales Manager to ensure successful
execution of the fundraising plan.
● Maximizes volunteer activity (board, committee and other) to grow
revenue through individual, corporate and foundation support.
● Actively works to create a diverse and representative donor base and
● Contributes to continued growth of organization through team
development, participation in Senior Leadership discussions and board
decisions, as required.
● Participates in board meetings and serves as staff resource for the
● Advocates for and demonstrates effective cross-departmental
communication to build a collaborative culture that is accountable,
informed and collectively working toward Radio Milwaukee’s overall
● Serves as a leader of the organization, reinforcing the organization’s
mission, serving as a role model and effectively motivating, delegating
and empowering individual team members to maximize their strengths
and achieve their full potential to the overall benefit of the
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
● Proficiency with fundraising applications using available data to
perform comprehensive data analysis and reporting
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, serving as an
attentive listener, articulate speaker, and persuasive writer
● Excellent strategic, organizational and project management skills
● Ability to prioritize and organize tasks, meet deadlines, and multi-task
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Outlook, and Word
● Demonstrated ability to ask for money and secure significant financial
● Ability to effectively present information and speak to groups of
individuals, including employees, Board members and members of the
● Ability to work well independently in a team environment
● Ability to provide clear direction and serve as an effective leader of a
team of professionals
● Ability to work flexible hours, as needed, occasionally outside of
regular business hours for special events and to support fundraising
● Ability to frequently travel throughout the organization’s service area
for various meetings, special events and fundraising efforts
● Ability to occasionally travel out-of-town for work-related events,
conferences and training opportunities, including overnights and
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
● Five years of experience in fundraising, sales, philanthropic studies,
business development, marketing, communications, public relations, or
a related field, plus at least seven years of experience in fund
development, or equivalent combination of education and experience
● Experience in progressively responsible managerial roles
● Experience driving a fund development or sales team to achieve
increasing contributed revenue goals
Experience supervising and managing a diverse team with demonstrated
ability to work collaboratively, delegate responsibility, and inspire, engage
and motivate staff
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must
be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals
with disabilities to meet the demands.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to
sit, stand or walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach or grasp with
hands and arms, including overhead and from floor to waist; and talk or
hear. The employee is occasionally required to bend, stoop or kneel; lift,
carry and/or move up to 25 pounds; and to operate a motor vehicle.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the
ability to read from a computer or electronic device, and the vision required
to operate a motor vehicle.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of
those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified
individuals with disabilities to meet the requirements.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The
employee is exposed to outdoor weather conditions during work-related
In addition to requiring masks at all times when indoors, regardless of
current vaccination status, Radio Milwaukee has made full COVID-19
vaccination a condition of employment. This decision follows guidance from
medical experts, in concert with our values and decision-making criteria, and
comes with the support of the Radio Milwaukee Board of Directors. For those
employees who are not vaccinated, a weekly negative COVID-19 test result
is required. This policy will remain in effect until December 31, 2021. As of
January 1, 2022, all Radio Milwaukee employees are required to be fully
Radio Milwaukee is a Fun Place to Work!
We regularly host live musical performances in our community space. Take a
break, and hear the local and touring groups perform for our members!
Station Swag – T-shirts, hoodies, hats!
Work in our creative Walker’s Point offices that include a full kitchen, green
roof/deck, performance space and coffee shop!
Meet donors, members and community leaders making Milwaukee a great
place to live.
Benefits at Radio Milwaukee
We know that working for a dynamic organization deserves rest and balance.
Here are a few of our fantastic benefits: three weeks of paid vacation, paid
holidays, sick and personal paid time off, medical/dental/vision and a great
matching 401K. Benefits are available after an introductory period.
Send the following: cover letter, references, resume and salary requirements
to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Radio Milwaukee is an Equal Opportunity Employer.