Volunteer Opportunities at The Sojourner Truth House
Call Melinda at (414) 643-1777
Domestic Violence Emergency Shelter
• The Domestic Violence Hotline for Milwaukee County rings into the office at Sojourner Truth House. Hotline volunteers handle crisis calls from victims of domestic violence, reports from the Milwaukee and suburban Police Departments regarding domestic violence incidents, calls from the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Department regarding defendant releases, and many information and referral calls. Because the office is located in the shelter, volunteers answering the Hotline also attend to residents’ needs.
Children’s Program at Belle Resource Center
• Children’s Program volunteers assist in the implementation of group and individual activities to stimulate growth in language, social and motor skills, playing with others and using play equipment. They also assist in presenting basic skill groups and redirecting inappropriate behavior.
Batterers Anonymous – Beyond Abuse
• Batterers’ Treatment Program volunteers provide information to mandated and voluntary clients and assist with client intakes.
Domestic Abuse Victim Advocates in the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office
• Volunteers needed to staff the victim witness waiting room in the courthouse to provide support, comfort, answer questions, answer telephones and provide child care when needed.
Special Event: Fashion Show
• Join the committee to help plan the event. Includes securing auction items, sponsorship dollars and helping with the logistics of the event.
• Help the day of the event with auction set-up, registration, being a greeter, an auction monitor and help with auction check-out.
Special Event: Brewers Wives Tailgate
• Join the committee to help plan the event. Includes securing auction items and sponsorship dollars. Will also help out with the logistics of the event.
• Help the day of the event with auction set-up, registration, auction monitor, food line monitor and auction check-out.
For more information, visit www.sojournertruthhouse.org, or call (414) 643-1777.