Last week, I shared a story about connecting with a friend, Adrian Lipscombe in La Crosse, who happens to be a chef and owner of a restaurant. She started sharing recipes with me, which has helped with my loneliness and depression. Last week it was biscuits, this week chicken wings!
And why not chicken wings? There is an apparent surplus due to this pandemic.
Adrian has not only shared an amazing recipe for oven-baked BBQ wings, but a fantastic playlist to go with it while you cook and eat.
“Chicken, it has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. It is the one protein that I could guarantee that would never change. From a bucket of greasy fried chicken my mom would pick up on the way home to my Nana’s baked chicken she prepared for Sunday dinner after church service, chicken has always been a staple at our dinner table.
Everyone has their favorite piece of the bird and mine is the chicken wing, especially BBQ chicken wings. BBQ chicken wing is one of the only pieces I will eat clean off the bone. If BBQ chicken wings were music I expected to be Crazy, Sexy, Cool like TLC but also be able to hold its own like Missy Misdemeanor’s This is Not a Test or The Cookbook. These wings take a technique to eat and will leave your hand, and sometimes your face, messy. Just always remember to keep the napkins close.” – Adrian
Oven-Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- 2-3 pounds of chicken wings, or drumettes
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ cup BBQ sauce
- Favorite hot sauced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl place wings. Sprinkle the granulated garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika over wings and mix the chicken by hand to coat the seasoning evenly.
- Place wings on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and space them apart. Do not crowd the wings. Another parchment-lined baking sheet may be necessary, depending on the size of the wings.
- Bake for 45 minutes. At 20 minutes, flip the wings. Continue to cook for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow cooling for 2-5 minutes to be able to handle by hand.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- In a separate bowl place BBQ sauce and baked wings. Coat the wings evenly in BBQ sauce.
- Place the BBQ sauced wings back on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and space them apart. Again, do not crowd the wings.
- Bake for 10 minutes until sauce is bubbly. Let them cool.
- Sprinkle hot sauce on each wing. (optional) and Enjoy!