“Ideas worth spreading” — that’s the slogan for TED and its popular series of ‘TED Talks” seen online and around the world.
The “talks” are often thought-provoking and wide-ranging, but they aren’t the easiest to attend in person. Programmed as part of an annual conference, the ticket price is high, and seats are limited.
But thanks to another initiative — known as TEDx — a TED-like experience is coming back to Milwaukee for it’s third year at UW-Milwaukee on Oct. 8th.
Kacee Ochalek is the co-president of TEDx UW-Milwaukee, an independent student organization responsible for organizing the annual event.
This year, Ochalek says the theme is “I Am. We Are.” and will focus on the concept of identity — personal identity and our collective identity as a community.
The TEDx program gives people the opportunity to “be in the same room with the change makers, students and professionals who all have the common goal of making this world a better place,” Ochalek said.
“We really believe what we’re doing is bringing change to the community,” she added.
As for topics, speakers will discuss a variety of Milwaukee-specific subjects, including food security, mental health, and community orgaizing, among other topics.
Here’s the speaker lineup:
- Rayna Andrews, Senior Director, Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin
- Kyle Cherek, Host, Wisconsin Foodie
- La’Ketta Caldwell, Founder, Keyta Life &
Senior Program Manager of the Arts Education Department, Boys & Girls Club
- Niki Johnson, Aritst, Curator, Owner- Niki Johnson Studio, LLC
- Frank Martinelli, President, Center for Public Skills Training
- Howard Snyder, Founder and Executive Director of the Northwest Side Community Development Corporation
- Laci Coppins – Robbins, Executive Director, Milwaukee Teacher Education Center
- Joe Sheehy, Student, Philosophy at UW – Milwaukee
- Jason Anderson, Counselor, Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and Students with Physical Disabilities
- Emily Phillips, Partner, Drosner Phillips Group – Baird
For tickets, visit the TEDx UW-Milwaukee website. And click the player above to hear our interview with Ochalek.