Still standing on Milwaukee’s north side, there’s a school that’s a symbol for a nearly forgotten chapter of Milwaukee history. And it’s for sale.
The former North Milwaukee High School, 5372 N. 37th St., was the destination for families living in North Milwaukee, a completely separate Milwaukee suburb with its own government and schools, during the early 1900s.
North Milwaukee was annexed by the city of Milwaukee in 1929, but not before building the high school in 1924, which was later renamed to Custer High School, then Thomas A. Edison Middle School.
Walk through the school now, and you’ll see plenty of evidence of a functioning school. Desks, posters and signage remin inside, frozen in time, from when the school ceased operation in 2007. Vacant since then, the school has been used for Milwaukee police training exercises while it awaits a new owner.
This week on Urban Spelunking, we talk about more about North Milwaukee’s history, plus we take a tour inside the school and discuss its future.