In this week’s episode, we talked about a group helping local restaurants with relief grants, the cancelation of the James Beard Awards, DanDan’s collaboration with Chicago’s Duck Duck Goat, Brute’s Pizza, and a video game where you can run a restaurant.
A local group by the name of Milwaukee Independent Restaurant Coalition (MIRC) will provide $1000 relief grants to restaurants in need. According to the website, Milwaukee Independent Restaurant Coalition supports a fairer, more economically sustainable, and more inclusive restaurant and bar community in the Greater Milwaukee area. Together, the workers, managers, and owners of independent restaurants and bars work through the MIRC to have a united voice in addressing the legislative and ethical issues that affect our industry. We are farmers, artisans, cooks, trade workers, and bartenders working together to make Milwaukee a better place for everyone.
The first grant application phase will take place from September 1 – 5. Grant recipients will be chosen randomly from wheelofnames.com on September 7, and funds will be distributed that day.
To qualify, your restaurant must be independently owned, a MIRC member, and located in Milwaukee County. Become a member HERE.
James Beard Foundation cancels the 2020 and 2021 awards.
Known as the Oscars of the culinary world, the James Beard Awards have been canceled this year and in 2021. According to the New York Times, the cancellation was due to several allegations against the nominees and a lack of diversity.
Brute Pizza is a new pop-up that serves sourdough pizzas. You can pick up their pizzas at several farmers’ markets and Donut Monster. You can find their schedule on their Facebook page. Check out their menu.
Chef – A Restaurant Tycoon Game
Chef is a Restaurant Management game in which you create your own character, acquire supreme cooking skills, customize restaurants, design unique menus, and devise innovative recipes with a realistic editor.
- Create your own avatar and level them up across 6 different skill trees with more than 100 abilities to choose from.
- Full restaurant management: choose the restaurant’s location and layout, hire the staff, design the menu, and determine the restaurant’s policies.
- Customize every aspect of your restaurants: Choose from over 150 different variations for floors and walls, and over 200 appliances and decorations that can be individually placed and colored.
- Experiment with a realistic recipe editor: Use the skills and ingredients at your disposal to create one-of-a-kind dishes that are accurately rated by taste and aroma.
- Choose your own cooking style: Specialize in meat or seafood, go vegetarian or vegan, or offer a vast selection of spicy or exotic dishes. The choice is yours and the world will react to it accordingly.