There’s a cosmic flavor to this week’s concert lineup
Milwaukee’s concert scene has a lot going on, so we look at the shows coming up to find the ones you’ll look back on and be glad you went. Then we add them to our weekly Milwaukee Concert Picks.
As most music fans very well know, the new year often creeps in on tiptoes as concert calendars generate steam. While this week is a little sleepier than a typical one in Milwaukee, there’s still plenty to do (especially if local music is your jam).
The Fox Cities duo of Ben Baker and Michael Stensland both attended UW-Oshkosh, majoring in business and radio-TV-film, respectively. But they wound up as Astronomers — the smooth indie-pop outfit that will play the Back Room on Thursday. Undoubtedly, you’ll hear songs from their most recent album, The Occasion.
There are plenty of other local options to get you out of the house, from a hip-hop showcase at Cactus Club to a “MKE Music Night” at The Back Room, plus a rootsy single-release show you’ll hear more about via 88Nine later this week. It’s all right below.
More shows worth a go
- Jan. 5: Winter Wonderjam (Silas Short, LJ, Troy Tyler, NilexNile) @ Cactus Club, 7 p.m.
- Jan. 6: Albert Lee, Derek Pritzl @ Anodyne Coffee Roasting Co., 7 p.m.
- Jan. 7: MKE Music Night (Sleepy Gaucho, Pocket Change, Soul Speed) @ The Back Room @ Colectivo, 7:30 p.m.
- Jan. 7: Will Pfrang and the Good Land Gang (single-release show) @ Company Brewing, 9 p.m.
- Jan. 8: The Mighty Deerlick (Milwaukee Record Halftime Series) @ Cactus Club