Scam Likely will definitely bring new music to Back Room show
Milwaukee’s concert scene has a lot going on, so we look at the shows coming up to find the ones you’ll look back on and be glad you went. Then we add them to our weekly Milwaukee Concert Picks.
Milwaukee’s Scam Likely are delightfully heartfelt and fun punks led by vocalist and guitarist Charlee Grider, who yowls, shouts and straight-up belts against a backdrop of punk cacophony. Along with Denzel “Ducky” Dondiego (guitar), Thierry Diatta (bass) and Cary Dean Elger (drums), this self-appointed “gothic indie punk rock” and “alternative garage rock band” creates a twitchy, taunting sound and raw emotive sense that’s broadly appealing.
Dishing out homegrown sass with initial songs like “jesus christ stop yelling I’m right here” and “Domestic Bliss,” interpersonal relationships get pulverized therapeutically and gratifyingly. The band’s debut album promises more of the same — and soon. Getting Worse is due out Jan. 20, so get ready for more flippant song titles, killer vocals and punked-up fun.
Scam Likely will share their full, new album with a live set in the Back Room this Saturday at 8 p.m., along with Scarlet Demore and Diet Lite.
More shows worth a go
- Jan. 19: Dazy, FOOTBALLHEAD, Graham Hunt Band @ Cactus Club, 7 p.m.
- Jan. 19: The Steph Lippert Project @ Crafty Cow MKE, 7 p.m.
- Jan. 20: The Nile Club (album release show) w/Barflord, North Warren, Shoobie, Riotnine @ Linneman’s, 8 p.m.
- Jan. 21: IfIHadAHiFi, Fight Dice, Florida Brothers Band, MDogg Matt Cross DJ Set @ X-Ray Arcade, 6:30 p.m.
- Jan. 21: MAVI, Spider Creek @ Cactus Club, 8:30 p.m.