Immortal Girlfriend’s opera collab is bound to be a classic
Milwaukee’s concert scene has a lot going on, so we look at the shows coming up to find the ones you’ll look back on and be glad you went. Then we add them to our weekly Milwaukee Concert Picks.
It’s been an exhilarating past couple of months for “Dark Knights of Synth” Immortal Girlfriend. First, their song “Someone Like You” landed in the highly watched Addams Family Netflix revival, Wednesday. Now, their world-class collaborative event — “The Florentine Opera Presents: Covers” — will take place this Thursday and Friday at The Cooperage.
Immortal Girlfriend and the arts organization have worked closely on the two-night event’s repertoire, which marries the brothers’ exciting take on atmospheric synth with beloved and emotive opera classics. The result promises to be both creative and captivating.
Florentine Opera General Director and CEO Maggey Oplinger said, “The Florentine Opera’s commitment to ‘classics with a twist’ stays true with this collaboration change. We know the Milwaukee audience loves hummable, recognizable tunes sung by beautiful voices, and the ‘Covers’ performance will deliver just that. Immortal Girlfriend is a powerhouse for lush sound and will allow us all to enjoy some of our favorite opera in a whole new way.”
The event will get some extra shine from director Dimonte Henning — a trained actor, director, and theater producer who spent almost two decades working in the performing arts. Henning got his formal training in Milwaukee and is a founding member of the Milwaukee Black Theater Festival.
If you go, expect to hear reimagined versions of “Quando M’en Vo” from Giacomo Puccini’s La Bohème, “Pearl Fishers Duet” by Georges Bizet, “Barcarolle” by Jacques Offenbach and more. The event will truly traverse the globe, with classic works sung in different languages and support from world-renowned vocalists and musicians.
More shows worth a go
- Feb. 8 — Songwriters in the Round: TAE, Genevieve Heyward and Liv Mueller @ Cactus Club, 7 p.m.
- Feb. 10 — The Appalachians, Tigera and Lunar Moth @ Shank Hall, 8 p.m.
- Feb. 11 — Lake Drive w/Outdrejas @ Linnemans, 8 p.m.
- Feb. 11 — Chris Novak Extravaganza feat. Daisychain, Wristwatch, Atheists and Airplanes and Stephanie Joanna @ The Cooperage, 7 p.m.
- Feb. 11 — MKE Music Night XLIII feat. NilexNile, Cullah and Cream City Players @ Company Brewing, 9:30 p.m.
- Feb. 11 — Okay Omen Album Release Show w/ Overhand, HUMID and Social Caterpillar @ Anodyne on Bruce, 8 p.m.