Local spots go all Milwaukee, all night long for 414 Day celebrations
Milwaukee’s concert scene has a lot going on, so we look at the shows coming up to find the ones you’ll look back on and be glad you went. Then we add them to our weekly Milwaukee Concert Picks.
If you’ve lived in Milwaukee for the past decade or so, you might have noticed the words “Milwaukee” and “Day” being put together more frequently starting in April. You’d almost think there was an official day called “Milwaukee Day.”
Well, the first Milwaukee Day holiday was dreamed and schemed by a crew of city-based friends and did become official by mayoral proclamation — eventually being held every April 14 to pay special homage to Brew City’s area code and all it has to offer. Milwaukee Day has seen its share of activities and special mementos (and moments), but none have been as tried and true as area venue lineups filled to the brim with an array of talented, local artists.
Topping our favorite holiday-inspired shows this year is Bay View’s Cactus Club hosting a 7 p.m. show featuring Spider Creek, Social Caterpillar, DarylAnne, Pulpa De Guayaba and a secret, surprise set. Close by at the Harbor District’s waterside venue The Cooperage, Tigera, Twan Mack, BJ Seidel, RealityTV + DJ DRiPSweat also kick off a show at 7 p.m. Since these two venues are a mere three miles from each other, you can easily hop between shows.
If you want to stretch yer legs a bit and get your dance on with some bossa nova, merengue and more, check out the 414 “Latin Night” celebration at Company Brewing in Riverwest as Los Mitoteros (a local nine-piece Latin ensemble) and Tlalok & Friends take the stage at 10 p.m.
More shows worth a go
- April 13: Bug Moment w/Lunar Moth, Riotnine!, Glowing Tide @ Cactus Club, 8 p.m.
- April 13: Chris Smither w/Paul Cebar @ Shank Hall, 8 p.m.
- April 14: Resurrectionists (album release show) w/ Credentials + Spidora @ Promises, 8 p.m.
- April 14: Milwaukee Day 2023 w/ Tigera, Twan Mack, BJ Seidel, RealityTV + DJ DRiPSweat @ The Cooperage, 7 p.m.
- April 15: Adam Greuel & The Space Burritos @ Linneman’s Riverwest Inn, 8 p.m.
- April 15: Diet Lite (album release show) w/ Social Cig, Kangaroo Court @ the Back Room, 8 p.m.