New Music Friday: The best releases out on Nov. 3
After releasing her self-titled debut studio album in 2016, rapper and singer Tkay Maidza felt stuck. She was writing songs that, Maidza says, she didn't even like. So she walked away from music-making and took half a year to untether herself from the things holding her back.
But Maidza eventually hit reset and returned to the studio to make Sweet Justice, an album of empowering songs that are both menacing and beautiful as she reflects on broken relationships, the ways we let doubt undermine our dreams and, ultimately, gratitude.
We've also got new music this week from the U.K. electronic artist Actress and his spellbinding album LXXXVIII, the ever-shifting jazz and rock fusion of Sen Morimoto, surprising rap-rock from Kevin Abstract, the haunting drones of Hilary Woods and more.
- Tkay Maidza, Sweet Justice — Featured songs: "WUACV," "Ring-A-Ling," "Ghost!," "Free Throws," "WASP"
- Sen Morimoto, Diagnosis — Featured songs: "Bad State," "Feel Change," "St. Peter Blind," "Pain"
- Actress, LXXXVIII — Featured songs: "Push Power," "M2," "Typewriter World," "Its me"
- Resavoir, Resavoir — Featured song: "Inside Minds"
- Kevin Abstract, Blanket — Featured song: "Blanket"
- Hilary Woods, Acts of Light — Featured song: "Burial Rites"
Other notable releases
- Cold War Kids, Cold War Kids
- Ian Sweet, SUCKER
- Jean-Michael Jarre, OXYMOREWORKS
- Jimmy Buffett, Equal Strain on All Parts (final album)
- Joey Alexander, Continuance
- Jung Kook, GOLDEN
- Kevin Drew, Aging
- King Creosote, I DES
- Laura Veirs, Phone Orphans
- Matmos, Return to Archive
- Michael Franti & Spearhead, Big Big Love
- Semisonic, Little Bit of Sun
- Snail Mail, Valentine Demos
- The Struts, Pretty Vicious