Spelunking the Harpole Building and former Merchants & Farmers State Bank
Bader Philanthropies has been working to renovate a commercial space in Milwaukee's Harambee neighborhood since 2017, and today, it is fully open to the public and honoring the legacy of Milwaukee changemakers.
Formerly Merchants & Farmers State Bank, the 1910 commercial building at 3338 N. Dr. Martin Luther King Dr. was recently home to a church. It was renovated in stages and has welcomed new tenants, including Sam's Place and Shalem Healing Center.
Late in 2021, the building was formally named to honor Ruben and Mildred Harpole, two respected leaders in education, nonprofit and community work, who have served Milwaukee with for decades.
Listen below and visit OnMilwaukee for more history and photos.