East Side institution, Tess, marks 20 years inside former Miller tied house
For two decades, Tess has called this former Miller tied house home. The restaurant on the corner of Bradford and Bartlett has remained family-owned, and has built a loyal following.
And it's not the first beloved business to occupy the space at 2499 N. Bartlett Ave. A previous restaurant -- Norman's -- was there for 30 years, first as a bar then eventually adding food to the menu. Like Tess, it was locally owned for its entire existence.
But both Norman's and Tess' combined 50 years don't even constitute half of the building's 112 years. It was originally built as a Miller tied house, a tavern owned by the brewery and exclusively serving its products, in 1910.
This week on the podcast, we step through the century of history on this prominent Milwaukee corner. Listen below and visit OnMilwaukee.com for more.