Remembering the Chancery on Downer, previewing building's next life
This week on Urban Spelunking, we're taking a trip to Downer Avenue to revisit the former home of the Chancery restaurant.
The beloved Milwaukee eatery closed in 2007, but many still remember the spot it occupied at 2577 N. Downer Ave. as "the Chancery building" because it welcomed countess diners since opening in 1986.
The building itself, now owned by Bridge33 Capital, has been undergoing renovation in the last few years, including a conversion of the upper floor to apartments. Meanwhile, the owners are focusing on the first level and "working to freshen up the retail spaces along the sidewalk to attract tenants," writes Bobby Tanzilo in his story at OnMilwaukee.
On this episode, we discuss future plans for continued renovation of the building -- including the approved plan for its facade -- previous neighborhood businesses that occupied it and the rest of the neighborhood surrounding the 1936 building.
Listen below, and be sure to visit OnMilwaukee for more history and photos.