Shared or solitary, the latest ‘Song Chest’ is another good listen
This month's episode of Song Chest Radio Hour is best when shared. It’s the perfect soundtrack to underscore weekend conversations with close friends or a late-night drive with a loved one. Or, if you’re like host Justin Vernon, a 12-hour dance party with the same song on repeat.
This month's picks are a curation of synthesized sounds from the past 20 years, studded with a few of Vernon’s personal friends, favorites and even an original mashup. Vernon traverses genres from rap to country to folk, leaving few stones unturned when it comes to variety.
Although haunting at times (following the trend of previous episodes), this month's playlist welcomes celebration through sound and is sure to warm up even the most bitter December night. Vernon treats listeners with his penultimate track — an idyllic marriage of modern experimental sound and classic vocals that is sure to leave you wanting more.
Fortunately for everyone, Vernon has plenty more to share from his Song Chest. You can ring in 2023 with Song Chest Radio Hour at 5 p.m. New Year’s Day live on 88Nine. In the meantime, listen to this month's episode below and catch up on previous episodes you might have missed.
- 00:00 — “Alma, Corazón y Vida,” Frankie Reyes
- 03:03 — “Giving Up,” Whitney
- 07:10 — “iT,” Christine and the Queens
- 11:33 — “Every Day I Ran (Bonus Track),” James Blake
- 15:56 — “Oh No,” Pharoahe Monch
- 19:52 — “Work That,” Mary J. Blige
- 24:15 — “High Together,” Siriusmo
- 29:01 — “Confirmation,” Westerman
- 32:55 — “Wreck Me,” Charley Crockett
- 36:05 — “White Foxes,” Susanne Sundfør
- 41:15 — “Yo La Abner Cross,” Justin Vernon (Abner Jay + Yo La Tengo mashup)
- 46:26 — “In Another Life,” Sandro Perri