The Arcs filter their funk through the lens of grief on ‘Eyez’
Every Monday, “Add of the Week” unveils all the new songs going into the 88Nine on-air playlist, with one hand-picked selection put in the spotlight by a member of our music team.
Soulfully funky outfit The Arcs’ last album was released in 2015, and a lot has happened to the group since — namely, losing band member Richard Swift, who passed away in 2018.
Dan Auerbach forged ahead through their collective grief, co-writing and producing a new record — Electrophonic Chronic — with bandmate Leon Michels. “This new record is all about honoring Swift,” Auerbach said. “It’s a way for us to say goodbye to him, by revisiting him playing and laughing, singing. It was heavy at times, but I think it was really helpful to do it.”
Due out Jan. 27 via Easy Eye Sound / Concord, the album easily blends the band’s collective pedigree (Black Keys, Menahan Street Band, Lee Field & the Expressions, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings and more) and honors the late Swift’s trademark producer chops.
“Eyez” is just one of the extra-large collection of adds we have for you this week after the long holiday break. Be sure to listen to all of them by tuning your FM dial to 88Nine in Milwaukee, or streaming worldwide on our website and mobile app.
This week’s other adds
- “Sideways Skull,” The Hold Steady
- “Bandida,” Gabriel da Rosa
- “Let It Go,” ANIMA!
- “Geometry,” Rubblebucket
- “Take me home,” PinkPantheress
- “Dancing in the Rain (feat. Elena Pinderhughes),” DAP The Contract
- “Mi Habitación,” BRATTY & Yawners
- “Carbon Dioxide,” Fever Ray
- “Welcome to My Island,” Caroline Polachek
- “Less From You,” We Are Scientists
- “Cucu,” Gotopo & Don Elektron
- “I only sing about food,” Runnner
- “African Dreams,” Seun Kuti and Black Thought
- “Don’t Give Up,” Tanukichan
- “The Way It Works,” Soaked Oats
- “Bad Company,” Yazmin Lacey