What: Newaukee Night Market
Where: Wisconsin Ave between 2nd and 4th Street
When: Wednesday, June 15 (and July 13, August 17, September 14) from 5-10 p.m.
In June 2014, NEWaukee – a local org dedicated to helping people find a sense of place and a charge to take action in Milwaukee – started its night market series.
What started as a mid-sized affair in the parking lot next to Miller Time Pub & Grill has grown into a Wisconsin Avenue takeover, spanning the area between 2nd and 4th streets.
And today, the NEWaukee Night Market will kick off its third season.
Described as “a collision of all Milwaukee has to offer,” the night markets are intended to be a mash up of art, craft and food vendors, live art creation, local music and a beer garden!
This year, the markets will include a plethora of new food vendors, an increased amount of family friendly activities and connection points between all of the events happening in Westown during those nights.
With so much going on, the market can be a little daunting for first timers. We’ve got you. Here are five recommendations for new (or awesome) things to do, see or taste:
- Walking Tours with Adam Carr – If you’ve never taken a proper tour of downtown Milwaukee, you’re going to want to meet up with Adam at 7 p.m. You may think you know Milwaukee, but there’s always something new to learn about the city you love!
- S’more roasting in the GRAEF Lounge – S’mores. Do we need to say more?
- Live art! – Looking at and appreciating art is awesome, but there’s something uber cool about watching it being made. So pick a painter or a chalker or a spinner and post up with a cold one to watch the magic happen.
- Westown Farmers Market or River Rhythms or both – Do some Westown ‘splorin and swing by the farmers market before the market (9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Zeidler Union Square) or River Rhythms afterwards (6:30-9 p.m., Pere Marquette Park).
- Us (Radio Milwaukee)! – Okay, this one’s biased, but we’ll be at every market –right by the blacksmith on 2nd street – with morning host Dori Zori, a brand new 88Nine cornhole set (or bags or baggo, if you prefer) and a local Milwaukee musician performing acoustically – come see us!
Today, we’re excited to have the lovely Claire Kelly with us performing her cheerful tunes – and maybe a few off her upcoming EP Farwell Avenue.
The NEWaukee Night Market takes place from 5-10 p.m. on the following Wednesdays: June 15, July 13, August 17, September 14.