In Milwaukee, Hip-Hop reigns supreme for its 50th birthday
Milwaukee’s concert scene has a lot going on, so we look at the shows coming up to find the ones you’ll look back on and be glad you went. Then we add them to our weekly Milwaukee Concert Picks.
This week, Milwaukee joins in on the global celebration that is the 50th birthday of Hip-Hop with a broad selection of events right here in our city. And although the week is well underway, you can jump right in and kick off your day with a “Hip-Hop Stroll” from noon – 1 p.m. Wednesday, taking off from City Hall’s rotunda to “join members of the Black African American Employee Resource Group for an engaging and vibrant walk filled with music in downtown Milwaukee.” Then you can cap your day with an 8 p.m. concert with Jadakiss at The Rave/Eagles Club … and that’s just Wednesday.
At a glance, some of the highlights-to-come of Hip-Hop Week MKE are: a job fair, a financial literacy discussion, a mental health conversation featuring Amplifier’s Chad “C Note” Roper, various Black Lens films, a forum of “Women In Hip-Hop” featuring HYFIN’s Element Everest-Blanks as well as shows and sets from The Pharcyde, Babyface Ray, Lady Sabo and Moneybagg Yo. Dive in and choose your own celebratory adventure.
Hip-Hop Week MKE takes place August 21-27 around the city. Find complete details on the City of Milwaukee website.
More shows worth a go
- Aug. 24: The Skatalites @ Turner Hall Ballroom, 8 p.m.
- Aug. 24: Elizabeth Moen w/ Motel Breakfast @ Cactus Club, 7 p.m.
- Aug. 25: Social Cig, Fellow Kinsman, Diet Lite and Bug Moment @ Turner Hall Ballroom, 8 p.m.
- Aug. 25: Black Lips w/ Telethon @ X-Ray Arcade, 7 p.m.
- Aug. 25: Jay Matthes [record release show] w/ Listening Party @ Anodyne on Bruce, 8 p.m.
- Aug. 26: Long Mama w/ Ladybird and Maximiano @ Linneman’s, 8 p.m.
- Aug. 26: WMSE’s Backyard BBQ w/ Bob Mould, Chicken Wire Empire, Girls Rock Milwaukee, Telethon and Esso @ Humboldt Park, 12 p.m.