Leaving on a Jet plane: Aaron Rodgers is no longer a Packer
So it’s finally over. Aaron Rodgers has traded the Packers’ green and gold for the Jets’ green and white. Cheeseheads for Fireman Ed. New Holstein for New Jersey. Even more importantly, the teams finally agreed on compensation for the multiple MVP winner (first reported by ESPN):
- The Packers get New York's 2023 first-round pick (No. 13 overall), a 2023 second round pick (No. 42), a 2023 sixth-round pick (No. 207) and a conditional 2024 second-round pick that becomes a first if Rodgers plays 65% of the plays this season.
- The Jets get Rodgers, and Green Bay's 2023 first round pick (No. 15 overall) and a 2023 fifth-round pick (No. 170).
So that makes it officially over. But what, exactly, is over? Glad you asked:
- An almost 18-year association dating back to April 2005, when Green Bay drafted Rodgers in the first round.
- Packers receivers living in fear of “that look” after breaking off a route six and a half yards from the line of scrimmage instead of six.
- Famous actresses at Lambeau Field.
- Any interest in the Pat McAfee Show.
I’m sure many people feel some form of relief that what became an annual off-season — and occasionally in-season — soap opera has been canceled, even though it feels more like a rerun than a series finale. Still, it leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Does this make Green Bay less attractive to free agents? Is Jordan Love ready to be QB1? Does he even know what Ayahuasca is?
Most importantly, what do your favorite Radio Milwaukee personalities (and the rest of us at the station) think about Rodgers’ departure? I asked them six weeks ago, when he first announced his desire to leave town, and received the following feedback. Please enjoy, along with this soundtrack:
Let’s face it: GB doesn’t do breakups well. Franchise QBs Jet out of town when they’re not wanted … lol.
Bears fan Kenny Perez
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS! That’s my reaction. Stick a fork in these Packers. Sorry, I’m happy the Bears have a chance to run this division!
I had a really good time when I was able to sing “B-B-B-Brett Favre and the Jets.” The thinking cap is on for my Rodgers theme song!
I don't follow American Football (says this daughter of immigrants in a slightly pretentious tone).
Bears fan Matt Blanchard
He's a highly overrated quarterback who has only ever amounted to one NFC championship win … and an even worse human being [salt-shaker emoji].
Thanks for the memories Mr. Rodgers. Thank you for a Super Bowl. Thank you for signing my Nerf football during your rookie year. My neighbor's dog ate it. Uhhhh, go Bucks! [Lowers Packers flag to half mast, weeps into Foamation cheesehead hat. Looks to loving wife and whimpers, "Hun, we're having beer-battered brats tonight."]
As a fan of the other New York football team, I’m delighted this news turns the spotlight away from the fact the Giants agreed to pay Daniel Jones $40 million per year. (Editor's note: Dan said this six weeks ago and should still feel very embarrassed about his team's ridiculous decision).
I'm bummed! But I feel like it's time to move on. I enjoyed those years where it looked like he was having fun. I haven't seen that for a while. Thanks, Aaron.