The Milwaukee Brewers will open their first season at the newly renamed American Family Field with between 11,000 and 12,000 fans in the stadium, but it will still be a while before fans can tailgate in the parking lots.
The team announced Thursday morning that it had been approved by the City of Milwaukee Health Department to open the season at 25% capacity, a bit short of the 35% capacity it had requested in a health and safety report in February.
Tailgating was not approved by the city, although according to reports the team hopes that will change as Covid-19 vaccines become more widely available.
The in-game experience, at least at first, is likely to look quite a bit different from when the stadium last hosted fans in 2019.
The team’s Covid-19 safety protocol page outlines detailed policies for fans, who will be expected to keep a six-foot distance from other attendees and must wear a mask at all times, except when eating or drinking in their seat. “No exceptions will be made to the mask requirement,” the team’s site says.
Here are some of the other policy changes:
- Children, ages 12 and under, must be in the presence of their parent or legal guardian at all times.
- Food and beverage may only be consumed in an assigned seating location. Food and beverage may not be consumed in concourses, at drink rails, in line at concessions or in the Team Store.
- All guests must practice social distancing by separating themselves by six feet from others, while standing in queue at Ballpark entrances, concessions, restrooms, Team Stores, etc.
- Congregating in the first two rows near playing field is prohibited, whether during batting practice or the game. A six-foot separation between ticketed guests and on-field personnel must be observed at all times.
- When in concourses follow “right way” walking system.
- No carry-in food/snacks will be permitted.
The Milwaukee Brewers’ home opener is April 1 against the Minnesota Twins.
|Support from our community makes stories like the one you just read possible. Make a gift to support the team behind the programming you use and enjoy!|