Changing of the season(ings): It’s time to talk about fall flavors
Each week on This Bites , dining critic Ann Christenson from Milwaukee Magazine and Radio Milwaukee’s resident foodie Tarik Moody dig into the city’s culinary and restaurant culture to help you find new spots, old favorites and the best ingestibles around Milwaukee.
Fall is here. Or, as I put it earlier this week:
It feels like Summer is all about quiet quitting in Milwaukee.— Tarik Moody (@hoboarchitect) September 27, 2022
And do you know who isn’t feeling fall right now — or ever? Ann Christenson. So you can probably guess where we start this week’s episode of This Bites. That’s right, we’re talking autumn and all the fall flavors (except for the one I refuse to mention here or on the podcast) that help make this time of year tolerable for people like Ann.
It really is the silver lining of the season that we get this simultaneous menu shift at restaurants across Milwaukee. The dishes get heartier, the drinks more robust, and squash is a thing again. But we’re not all autumnal on this episode. We do our usual bounce around the city, including:
- A new empanada bar that’ll bring South American flavor to Riverwest.
- Discourse Coffee’s chef-like approach to its drinks menu (only in Milwaukee Magazine)
- Ann’s review of the reopened Comet Cafe (also only in Milwaukee Magazine)
- The end of Triskele’s and the beginning of La Pina in Walker’s Point.
- Southern comfort food at the just-opened Yum Yum Fish and Chicken
Listen to the episode below, then help brighten this dark time of year for us by subscribing, liking, reviewing and sharing wherever you get your podcasts.